Sunday, June 12, 2005

Of Heat and Polka

Blech. I know, I know, if it was snowing and 15 degrees (C) below 0, I'd be complaining of the cold. But still, I am sweltering hot. With the humidity in the atmosphere, the sweat does not evaporate off me, and thus blech. Also we are currently saving on utilities AND being nice to Mr. Environment Person by not using the air conditioning...I sincerely look forward to Tropical Storm Arlene heading up my way to carry the smog away. Bring on Tuesday! I never could get the hang of Mondays anyway...
*searches for transition*
Ah yes. Mondays = not very fun, usually. Polka = very very fun, always. Have any of you ever heard a good German Polka? If not, you are missing out. This is the happiest music in the world, folks, and if you don't have to smile just from listening to a tune like "Zing Ich La La", there might be something wrong. I mean, it bounces, it has the words "La la la la la la la la la la la la lala...", it has accordion...what more could you possibly want?!
Of course, I am reminded of a certain Far Side comic which depicts persons entering heaven and hell, and being given instruments: "Welcome to heaven, here's your harp." "Welcome to hell, here's your accordion." So apparently some people don't like accordions. To them I say pffft. No wait. That's not nice, or true. To them I say...it may be an acquired taste. But all this does not cancel out the fact that polka is indeed, very very fun. Feeling down? Go listen to some polka. Go now! Or finish reading my spraff. Your choice.
German (or any other language than English) polka is especially fun, because you get to make up the words. (If you don't speak German, that is.) Of course, this works with German waltzes too...but anyways, my sister and I always enjoy making up the words to said songs. Basically the technique is to listen and then figure out what they're saying sounds like in English. You get lovely lines like, "He slipped the band-aid on the eye" and "It was very disturbing until I just used the herbicide." Much, much fun on long car trips; excellent recipe for a belly laugh.
I bet it is even more fun if you don't speak english and try to do the same thing with our music...but I can't ask anyone to tell me what it's like because if you don't speak english I don't think you'll be reading this page. Hope you like the pictures and stuff though. Not that you understood anything I just wrote to you. *sigh*

Guten Tag!
(I don't know if that means goodbye as well as hello, but there you are.)

1 Comments:

At 5:21 PM, Blogger Jill Pole said...

Probably, wyntre. But I don't recall what it sounds like.

I know accordion can be killer, but it is nice when it is bouncy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home